The secret to a tasty borscht is some brine. I learned this from my Ukrainian mother, who after tasting my borscht, went to the fridge and pulled out a container of pickles. I shouldn't have been so surprised, Ukrainians LOVE their pickled food.
- 3 beets, peeled and grated
- 1/2 cabbage, largely chopped into spoonful sizes
- 1-2 carrots, peeled and grated
- olive oil
- 1 tomato, diced
- 2T of lemon juice
- 8-10C or vegetable broth and/or water mix
- 1 onion, diced
- 1-2C pickle juice, to taste
- spices and seasoning: pepper, salt, parsley, garlic and bay leaves
In a large pot, heat up 1-2T of olive oil and add your beets, carrots and tomatoes. Add 2T of water and lemon juice to the vegetables and stir. Reduce the heat and let simmer for 15 minutes. Boil your broth and add it to the veggies, bring to a boil again and add some salt to taste. Add your cabbage and let cook for 10 minutes. In another pan, saute your onions and then add it all to the soup mix, throw in your pickle juice at the same time. Add your seasoning and let cook for another 5-10 minutes. Remove from heat and serve it up. Garnish with whatever you like, herbs, yogurt, sour cream, you name it!