Being half Ukrainian, the fam goes all out on Christmas eve which means enjoying a 12-course dinner. My mom put me in charge of the mushroom dish this year, so I made a vegan, gluten-free mushroom risotto given that we have allergies to dairy and gluten in our family. This was mighty delicious!
- 5T olive oil
- 1 1/2 pounds mushrooms (I used cremini & Portobello), chopped
- 1 teaspoon freshly chopped rosemary
- 1 1/2 yellow or white onion, finely diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 1/2C Arborio rice (I used Aurora Arborio rice)
- 1C dry white wine
- 6C vegetable stock
- 1/2C frozen peas
- 2-3T vegan butter (I used Earth Balance again which I love so much)
- 1T salt
- In a large pan (I mean large), heat half the olive oil & saute the mushrooms until soft for approx. 5 minutes, then add the rosemary and saute for another minute. Remove from heat and put in a bowl on the side.
- Now oil your pan and saute the onions until soft while stirring, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for approx. one minute. Stir in the rice and cook for approx. 2 minutes. Add the wine and 1 teaspoon salt to the pan, scraping the sides and cook until the liquid is roughly half.
- Add 1 cup of the stock to the pan. Bring to a low boil, then turn the heat down to medium low and gently cook until nearly absorbed. Repeat this process, adding stock by 1 cup, until the rice is tender. It took me approx 25-30 minutes in total. Stir in the mushrooms, peas and vegan butter.
- Not vegan? Top with some parmesan as well.